Monday, September 7, 2015

Steampunk Bloomer Pants DIY

 

I hate trends.  Normally, if anything is "popular" my gut reaction is to run the other way and not look back. However, once in a while something shows up that just fits a person.  With my love for antiques, metal music and science fiction, steampunk just fits.  This trend (Oh, how I really do dislike the word.  Maybe that's a personal issue...) has gracefully made it's way into home decor, movies and just about everything else, with most people not even really noticing.  In the fashion world, however, most steampunk is only found in the smallest touches, the most outrageously expensive merchants or in the world of conventions for video games, comic books or role players. I, frankly, would rather include the things that I like in normal, everyday life.  Here is an easy project for doing just that.

I've been looking at projects for turning slacks into bloomer style bottoms for a while now, and I'll give you some advice that a lot of people seem to ignore.  Go find some cheap, second hand slacks that you don't mind cutting up, but whatever you do, don't get something that starts off looking bad on you.  If they don't fit nicely before you alter them, they'll still look bad after.  Look for something that looks tailored to fit on top, and you'll be doing well.

After you've gotten your slacks home, you need to cut off the bottoms.  You'll want to try them on again and mark the spot.  Since you want to tie them below the knee, you'll give an inch or two extra for flexing the knee, 2 or 3 inches for the ruffle at the bottom, and another inch or so for turning the fabric under to hem.  This should mean that you cut off the pants at about mid calf. Just decide for yourself exactly what you want.  After you have cut one leg, just lay out the slacks and fold them lengthwise, lining up the waistband, and cut the other leg to match.
 
 I used two different kinds of lace trim for this project.  The smaller stuff, as you can see, is for adding to the hem, and the one with the ribbon running through the center is for tying the leg tighter below the knee. You don't want modern looking, wimpy lace for this project.  Try to find something on the coarse side.  I also recommend replacing any buttons with something to match.  Here I used some vintage shell buttons. 
 
Pin the top lace so that it is a couple of inches below the bottom of your knee.  You will need this room for the ruffled look and for your knee to bend.  Once you have pinned the lace where you want it, (make sure you give extra length in the ribbon for tying) fold the slacks to check that you have everything even and symmetrical.  You may use a sewing machine to sew everything in place, but for this project, I just sewed it all by hand while watching TV.  I didn't want my stitches showing and ruining the effect.  Finally, replace buttons, and add extra (I put one smaller button on the bottom of every belt loop), and maybe add some lace trim sticking up out of any pockets.



 Even with all the hand sewing, this project only takes an afternoon, and adds a fun steampunk flare to your wardrobe.  

Pairing your ruffled slacks with simple tailored tops will keep it mainstream enough to wear in "normal" society.  The key here is to match the style without going over the top.  The first time I wore these, I started off with a ruffled, and corset laced jacket over the tank and vest, and it looked like I was off to some kind of convention (Not really my thing).  Changing to a gracefully tailored sweater took it back to the real world.

Go make something fun today, and add a little artistic flare to the boring world around you.
I

No comments:

Post a Comment