Tuesday, August 11, 2015

How to wash Dreadlocks

The single most common question I get about dreadlocks is "So, do you wash it?"  I bite back the comment in my head about dreadlock wearers only rolling in the mud to get clean, and say "Of course I wash my hair."  The next question is what they really wanted to know, "How?"  The answer? - Very carefully.

Those of you who know me, are already aware that I'm one of those crazy sensitive people who are allergic to everything.  The first time I had dreads, it meant that the shampoos that people recommended to me made my scalp bleed, literally. The main culprit was the ever popular tea tree oil.  This seems to be the mainstay for people that want to be natural and keep their skin healthy.  The only problem with this is that it's really potent, and quite a few people, like me, are sensitive to it in any amount.  It wasn't until I discovered ginger, that I felt I could try dreadlocks again.

It had been recommended to me to boil down ginger root and add it to a bottle of natural shampoo, along with a few crushed aspirin. This is supposed to help people with scalp problems (most of us with sensitivities will have skin issues).  I totally recommend the crushed aspirin, but like so many other things, I'm allergic to it's ingredients.  For the ginger, however, I find that using fresh ginger each time you shampoo is far more effective.

Here is what I do - 
First I grate about one finger of ginger, and squeeze the juice out into a plastic measuring cup. You'll want less than a quarter cup of this liquid.
 Next, I run a bath... Before you give me the anagram for "Too Much Information", get your brain out of the gutter, and hear me out.  For best effect, you will want to begin by soaking your head.  This softens the skin and opens your pores.  A bath is better for this, because running water is tough on your knots.  The less movement of the water, the better.

After you've soaked your scalp for a couple minutes, put a small amount of your favorite natural shampoo (I recommend something with Lavender) in your hand.  Add about 4 drops of peppermint oil into the center of this, and mix it in with your finger.  Then pour a tiny bit of your fresh ginger juice into it as well, and mix in with your finger.  After our "medicine" is mixed in I add more shampoo to my hand and mix until I have a whole handful of herbalized shampoo.  I know it sounds like a lot of shampoo, but it's a little difficult to get the shampoo throughout your hair, when you have dreadlocks.  I apply this mixture to my entire scalp without a whole lot of concern for the length of my hair, unless it's extra dirty for some reason.  (As you rinse and squeeze your hair later, it will be cleansed quite well.)  Leave this on your head for a couple of minutes to do it's work.  The peppermint will soothe and cool, and the ginger is not only an anti - inflammatory, but it also is a great antioxidant, antimicrobial for sores, and stimulates circulation.  When you're ready, just let your head soak in the bath.  Gently massage the water through your scalp, and squeeze and release the length of your hair under the water.  This is rinse #1. Drain your bath.

Now rinse your hair again under running water, remembering to squeeze and release your hair under the water to get the water in and the shampoo out of your dreadlocks.  Don't rub and scrub your dreadlocks, because this is too rough on them.  Pay special attention to making sure your entire scalp is well rinsed.  Shampoo residues left on your skin will both irritate your scalp and invite infection.  That was rinse #2.  Now, remember that cup with ginger juice in the bottom of it?  Yeah, that.  I tip it a little and look at the bottom of the cup and see if there is starch on the bottom.  If there is, I'd rather not have a lot of it in my hair, so instead, I scoop it up with my finger and rub it into my skin (behind and in ears, along hairline, etc.  I know it sounds silly, but it helps.)  Now, I add water to the rest of the ginger juice until the cup is full. Slowly pour this onto your scalp, all over, leaving just a little bit behind in the bottom of the cup.  Let this sit on your head while you take care of the rest of your shower.  If it starts to burn rinse it right out.  This would mean that it was a little strong.  Use a little bit less next time.  After your done shaving, washing or plucking out your eyebrow hairs (whatever, really none of my business), rinse out your ginger. This is rinse #3.

This last part is optional, but take that cup with just a little bit of diluted ginger juice, and fill it back up with water.  Pour this over your scalp and hair.  This was rinse #4, and I find that it makes a real difference for me.  This tiny trace of ginger seems to help me as some sort of preventative measure against... whatever, until I wash my hair again.

When you're done, don't scrub your head with your towel.  Just squeeze your hair dry with it instead.  I also, always gently blow dry my hair as well.  It's really important to make sure that your hair gets dry before you put it up, or under a hat, or sleep on it.  If it doesn't get dry, it'll mildew.  Really mildew is not just gross, but will definitely give you skin issues, even if you don't already have them.  So, squeeze your hair in a dry spot on your towel, and then come back a few minutes later and do it again.  

That's it for washing your dreadlocks... It takes time, but we usually only wash our dreadlocks about once a week anyway, right?  If you have bangs, like me, just go ahead and wash them every day with your face, while the rest of your hair is pulled back.  If you have any questions, feel free to click on comments below, and ask.  I'll try to clarify any confusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment