Monday, August 3, 2015

Low Carb Gluten Free Granola

Yeah, gluten free and low carb doesn't sound like a good breakfast option, does it?  This granola, however, really satisfies that hearty, crunchy craving in the morning.  If I was worrying only about flavor, I'd leave out the pumpkin seed kernels. If I wanted it to be completely Paleo, I'd leave out the gluten free oats.  For me, this is a good compromise.
First, we make the temporarily gross looking mixture that you see here in this pot. It is:
1/3 Cup Coconut Oil
3/4 Cup Agave
1 Tbsp Vanilla
1/2 tsp Molasses
1/2 tsp Cinnamon 
1/4 tsp Nutmeg
1/2 tsp Powdered Ginger (optional, but ginger is super good for you)
1/4 tsp Salt

Put all of this on a low heat, and let it melt together. Meanwhile mix together in a large bowl:
1 8oz pkg. Raw Pumpkin Seed Kernels (optional, as I mentioned before)
1 12oz pkg. Unsweetened Flaked Coconut
1 16oz pkg. Sliced Almonds
2 Cups Gluten Free Rolled Oats (Leave this out or replace it if you want Paleo.)
1/2 Cup Chia Seeds (Optional, super healthy. Tastes good but you may not like texture)
Pour your melted mixture over your "Granola Stuff".  I just mix this by hand until it's all wet.  Spread between two of your largest pans, and bake at about 265 degrees.  You can put both pans in your oven at the same time, but try to stagger them, so that the heat will circulate evenly.  Stir after the first 30-40 minutes.
Stir about every 20 minutes or so until your granola is a beautiful golden color.  Let it cool completely and add any dried fruit that you might like.  This goes great with milk, and also is a good base for crumb cheesecake crusts (if I do say so myself).  Actually I recommend messing with this recipe until it suits you.  You may find that you like some nuts and seeds better, or you may want more agave for sweetness.  Do it your way.



 


No comments:

Post a Comment